As we age, our lifestyles and bodies change, but that doesn’t mean that having sex should.
Sex is an important aspect for your health, not only is it pleasurable but it has many effects to the body you may have not thought about. It can relieve stress levels as well as lowering your risk for health concerns. Sex itself bonds intimacy and pleasure between partners unlike like anything else!
Some benefits of having sex as we continue to age are:
1. Lessen Pain: As you are probably experiencing right now, our bodies react differently to the things we were able to do at ages 12, 25 or even 44… that is why it is important to remember sexual stimulation can ease your pain, who doesn’t want that!? When we are intimate with our partner and we are receiving pleasure the pain points in our body lessen.
2. Improve Sleep: Sex can actually promote better sleep and better sleep can promote better sex! It is a chain reaction… sex actually makes it easier to fall asleep, and this is because of the hormones that are released during sexual intercourse.
Let me break it down for you Oxytocin is a hormone that makes you feel connected to your partner which is released in the bed room. Plus having an orgasm releases a hormone called Prolactin which make you sleepy and feel more relaxed therefore setting you up for a good nights sleep.
3. Relieve Stress: Sex is a stress reliever, and that is because being intimate with someone and engaging in acts of touching and feeling, stimulates the endorphins in your body that make you happy and at ease!
4. Stronger Bond: You and your partner are both aging! So that does not mean you need to stop being intimate with each other… it will actually help strengthen and sustain your bond you have together, both in and out of the bedroom. According to a study kissing, cuddling, hugging and holding hands all help increase bonds between partners.
5. Exercise: Staying active and getting your heart rate up is one of the best things you can do for your body which you may have already known… but who knew sex would could be categorized as exercise? It is true, sexual activities can be your activity of choice, as long as it increases your heart rate, and gets your body moving.
Live Well. Age Well
“Great Sex After 50.” WebMD, WebMD, https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/guide/sex-after-50#1.
Galinsky, Adena M, and Linda J Waite. “Sexual Activity and Psychological Health as Mediators of the Relationship between Physical Health and Marital Quality.” The Journals of Gerontology. Series B, Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Oxford University Press, May 2014, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3983915/.